Saturday, September 4, 2010

How My Five Year Old Taught Me The Art of Living

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
Pablo Picasso

Years ago I watched, fascinated, as my five-year-old painted a scene of dinosaurs attacking one another.  He talked through the whole process as the drama unfolded.  At one point I wanted him to stop.  The images were pretty good and his composition of the piece was well  laid out - but no, the fight continued as more dinosaurs entered the scene and there was bloodshed everywhere.  Before I knew it, the entire canvas was covered in paint from top to bottom and I sighed, "He ruined it."  But he was very satisfied with himself.  It was a great moment of triumph for him.  To this day, I wish I had that attitude - why do I cling to things that don't last when the real joy - what we get to keep - is in the moment-to-moment unfolding?

No comments:

Post a Comment